Everyone who is writing professional thesis must remember that correct grammar punctuation is the best way to show the quality of your work and to get better grade. Here are some punctuation rules for simple sentence you have to follow in your writing a thesis.
- A comma is used to separate homogeneous members joined asyndetically. Her breathing was slow, tortured. (Maltz)
- A comma is used after each of several homogeneous members if the last is joined by the conjunction and. He lighted his cigarette, said good night, and went on. (London)
- A comma is used to separate homogeneous members joined by the conjunction but and the correlative conjunction not only…but also. He had been always about to paint a masterpiece, but had never yet begun it. (O’Henry)
- A comma is used to separate homogeneous member going in pairs. They have forgotten time and place, and life and death. (Voynich)
- With detached members of the sentence either a comma or a dash is used. He, Martin Eden, was a better man than that fellow. (London) To think that Johnnie – my best friend – should have acted so meanly. (Bennett)
- To separate all types of detached adverbial modifiers a comma is used. It being then just dinner-time, we went first into the great kitchen. (Dickens)
- To separate detached attributes a comma is used. There are some truths, cold, bitter, tainting truths. (Dickens)
- To separate detached objects a comma is used. Maggie, with a large book on her lap, shook her heavy hair. (Eliot)
- To separate parenthetical words, group of words, and clauses a comma, a dash, or brackets may be used. The comma is the most usual. To occupy her mind, however, she took the jobs given her. (Galsworthy)She sang a foolish song of Gustave Charpentier’s – a song born dead – and she sang it sentimentally. (Bennett)To the hired butler (for Roger only kept maids) she spoke about the wine. (Galsworthy)
- To separate interjection a comma or a note of exclamation may be used. Oh, Doreen didn’t know anything about it. (Cusack)
- To separate direct address a comma is used. Arthur, have you thought what you are saying? ( Voynich)
These punctuation rules can help you to write professional thesis even if you use only simple sentences. If you are unsure of your paper punctuation, turn to our professional thesis writers.